The Silent Being

I am a human being
Though I am old and still.

Even though I never speak
Does not mean I cannot feel.

I am not an empty shell
My heart still beats within.

I am simply waiting here
For my new life to begin

So don't begrudge me my silent stay.

For I could be you on some future day.


This is Cora. She's just celebrated her 105th birthday. She was born in 1907 when Theodore Roosevelt was president. She doesn't usually talk much, but enjoys watching the kids play and smiles often. We tell the kids that being old is a little bit like being a baby again because, like newborns, sometimes our friends at the Kenney Home are so tired that they just need to sleep wherever they are.
Can you imagine the joy that these hugs brought today? I can.
The smiles on the kids faces and the residents were priceless.

No comments: