This is a dress-up box for the future & it's filled with stuff like courage & love & play because they're the only things that are any use at all
when you get right down to it.
We sat side by side in the morning light & looked out at the future
together.
What if we all got along & people loved each other & sang songs about
peace? he said. Would that be a good world? & I said I didn't know about
that, but it would be a good summer camp.
They're like pets who shed clothes instead of hair, she said & they talk
back & want a lot of stuff. But at least they don't pee on the carpet
anymore, she added. 
She seemed to move everywhere dancing & music followed her like leaves on
the wind.
There are lives I can imagine without children but none of them have the same
laughter & noise.
When I die, she said, I'm coming back as a tree with deep roots & I'll wave
my leaves at the children every morning on their way to school & whisper
tree songs at night in their dreams.
Trees with deep roots know about the things children need.
1 comment:
This is so adorable!!!
Post a Comment